Home

Monday, September 29, 2014

Book Review: Destined for Doon

I hope like how I redecorated on my blog!

If you recall, last December, I wrote about a book called Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon. I wrote in frustration of the cliffhanger the book ended with. Well, my misery has ended somewhat as the second book Destined for Doon has been published. I bought it and read it within a few days.

About the Book

Destined for Doon
Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon
In this sequel to Doon, Mackenna Reid realizes she made a horrible mistake in choosing to follow her dreams of Broadway instead of staying in the enchanted land of Doon. To make everything worse, she's received her Calling—proof she and Duncan are each other's one true love—and it's pure torment, especially when visions of the very alluring Scottish prince appear right before she goes on stage. So when Duncan tells her an ancient curse threatens to overtake Doon and the new queen and Kenna’s best friend, Veronica, needs her to return, Kenna doesn't have to think twice. With darkness closing in on all sides, Kenna and Vee must battle a world of nightmares in order to protect the kingdom. But it will take the ultimate test of courage for Kenna to salvage her happily ever after.

My Review

Destined for Doon picks up where Doon left off. Kenna, as expected, makes it back to Doon, but her relationship with Duncan is ruined. Meanwhile, Veronica is trying to fit into her new position as queen. However, Jamie is having a hard time relinquishing control and is extremely overprotective in her eyes.
Then they are faced with a horrible curse called the limbus. It literally zombifies anything that touches it and it is slowly surrounding and infecting the entire nation. How can they stop it, when they can’t even go near it? Add to that the fact that it is invisible…
I enjoyed this book. It is the continuation of a story I am interested in, set in a beautiful world with lots of adventure. The characters are interesting and unique. I loved that Kenna is always singing and mentioning musicals; it brings her to life in that even her thought life is affected bu the things she loves. Also, Vee and Kenna’s friendship is beautiful. The constantly comment on how they “share each other’s brain” which shows the depth of their friendship. I also enjoyed the plotline, which is the main thing I consider when liking a book. It held my attention with a mix of romance and crisis.
Destined for Doon didn’t pull from me the same emotions as the first, however. Part the reason for this is the fact that much of the turmoil between the couples are misunderstandings which could be rectified if they would just talk and actually listen to each other. Of course, the existence of misunderstandings is probably a pretty accurate portrayal of any relationship.
The curse was interesting. The authors never really explained how the witch made it since Vee and Kenna stripped her of her powers in the first book. How then could she have revived the curse, and where exactly is she? I assume it will be explained in the third book in the series, especially since this book is a cliffhanger as well.
I enjoyed this book and look forward to the sequel as an answer to my questions and a hopefully epic conclusion to the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment