Home

Friday, October 14, 2016

Book Review: Shades of Doon

Hello! Emily, here! I just wanted to let you know a couple things. I am planning on making some changes to this blog in the coming weeks, namely, moving this blog to Wordpress and possibly its own website. Also, I'm currently taking a class about Adobe Photshop and Illustrator, and I'm planning on incorporating what I'm learning to make some interesting images for this blog. Fingers crossed that everything goes as planned!

Today, I have a book review for Shades of Doon, which is co-authored by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon. For once, it's not a book I got specifically for review, and because of that, my review is a little bit more sporadic than usual and doesn't have a summary at the beginning for once. I hope you enjoy it.


Description


Shades of Doon (Doon #3)
by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon

Synopsis: 

After cheating death, Veronica Welling is determined to savor every moment in her idyllic kingdom with both her true love and best friend by her side at last. At the same time, Mackenna Reid is enthusiastically building her new life and a theater with her prince. But just as their dreams of happiness are within reach, the world Vee and Kenna have chosen is ripped away, leaving them to face their most horrific challenge yet—their old lives.

Thrust out of Doon, the best friends are confronted with tormentors from their past and no way to return to their adopted land. When the MacCrae brothers rush to their rescue, the girls' situation turns from nightmare to modern-day fairy tale. But their happiness could be short lived: unbeknownst to them, someone in their closest circle is aiding the witch of Doon in her bid to destroy the kingdom once and for all.

Find out more about Carey and Lorie and the Doon series at www.doonseries.com.





Review


Hmm. What to say about this book. Half of it was fairy-tale perfect, with the two couples totally in love and happy. In fact, the book pretty much starts off that way. My reaction: "WHAT? The last time I saw these characters, Vee was DYING." But this book skips past all of that drama, and we see what happened only in the memories of the characters. Apparently, it wasn't that big of a deal? Then why the epic cliffhanger in the last book? 

Moving on... So the characters were having a picture-perfect life before someone threw a rock into their happily-ever-after in the form of Vee and Kenna randomly transporting to Earth-Earth. The person responsible? - You guessed it, the Witch of Doon. I'm sure the characters would be glad to get rid of her once and for all. The authors used the trip to Earth to allow the characters to tie off some loose ends and grow the characters, which I appreciated very much. As wonderful as the characters are, they still have some growing to do. The four of them grew closer as couples and friends and started to trust the Protector even more. It showed pretty great character development. 

That trip of theirs ultimately introduced the characters to the newest problem with the witch, a problem with higher stakes than ever before, smashing into yet another cliffhanger ending. Lorie Langdon and Carie Corp really like those, it seems. They did give us a little hope at the end, though. 

When I started this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. Both couples finally got together, so what could possibly happen? I hoped they weren't just going to start fighting and misunderstanding each other and have to go through all those relationship problems again. I was relieved that that wasn't the case. They did have a few bumps in the road, but like any couples that are headed toward marriage, they were growing closer and trusting one another more. I appreciated that very much. 

I have some mixed feelings with this book. It didn't quite grab me, and the beginning was annoying. But it was still a pretty good book in other ways, especially the character and romantic development.

No comments:

Post a Comment